As the weather gets a little cooler and you head out on a nature walk with your preschooler, grab some leaves and sticks, and plan to do some crafting with nature. These fall craft ideas are easy enough for a preschooler to make.
There are several different ways to paint with leaves. First, you can apply paint to one side of a leaf and then turn it over and press the paint onto a piece of construction paper or cardstock. Another option is to make leaf silhouettes. Use double sided tape or fold over a piece of tape to tape the leaf to a piece of white paper. Then use watercolors to paint all of the white space. Let it dry and then carefully remove the leaves.
Stick Tree Family
Materials needed: sticks, tacky glue or hot glue, scraps of fabric or felt, yarn, scissors, googly eyes
- Collect sticks in various sizes and thickness where each stick can represent a member of your family.
- Spread glue on the back of a piece of fabric or felt and wrap it around the bottom half of your stick to simulate clothes.
- Glue googly eyes and yarn “hair.”
- You can use paint or markers to add a smile or personalize the sticks for each family member.
Before or after your stick family craft, read Stick Man, by Julia Donaldson. You can check your local library or listen to it here. There is also an animated version based on the book included with an Amazon Prime membership.
Natural Paint and Brushes
Materials needed: sticks or twigs, leaves, rubber bands, cornstarch, food coloring, muffin tin, water
- Collect a variety of sticks, twigs, and leaves.
- Use rubber bands to secure the leaves to the twigs and sticks to make your own unique paint brushes.
- Make some simple sidewalk paint by mixing 3 cups of cornstarch with up to 3 cups of water. You can use more or less depending on how thick you want to make the paint.
- Pour some of the mixture into muffin tins and then stir in 2-4 drops of food coloring.
- Paint the sidewalks with your handmade nature paint brushes and sidewalk paint.
If you enjoyed this blog, please take a look at our school’s blog page. There you will find blogs on a wide variety of topics that we believe will be beneficial to you and your family.
Want to learn more about Kids ‘R’ Kids Learning Academy of Landstar located in Orlando, Florida? Our mission is to provide secure, nurturing, and educational environments for children ages 6 weeks – 12 years. We help children to bloom into responsible, considerate, and contributing members of society. For more information, give us a call or stop by for a tour! We’d love to get to know you and your family.