Whether this is your child’s first time attending preschool or they are returning for another year, starting a new school year can be both exciting and frightening. Here are a few tips to help your preschooler ease into school without feeling overwhelmed. Help your child start this year on the right foot and make going to school a positive experience.
- In the weeks leading up to school, ask questions to get your preschooler talking about new teachers and new friends. School can be an exciting time of activities, learning, and adventures, so point out the good things to look forward to at school.
- Begin to establish a routine of “early to bed” and “school wake-up time” a few weeks before school begins, so your child has time to adjust to the new schedule.
- Read books dealing with the first day of school. Pete the Cat, Curious George, the Pout Pout Fish, and more beloved picture book characters have books dealing with the first days of school.
- Set up a time to meet the teacher and visit the classroom or attend an orientation. A child that is able to familiarize themselves with the school, classroom, and the teachers ahead of time goes a long way towards easing beginning-of-the-year fears.
- Going shopping for school supplies can create a sense of excitement. After picking out a backpack, snacks, or whatever supplies are on the supply list you may have received from the school, talk about the items at home and what your child will get to do with them at school.
- Pick out a comfort item from home that your child can take to school – like a book to share, a love note, a small pillow, or a trinket.
- On the first day, make a quick exit. Comfort your little one, and then move on quickly. Some children may cry, but preschool teachers are used to dealing with issues like this, and they will help your child get through it.
- Give your child time to adjust and get ready to make some great preschool memories!
Back-to-school is a special time and, with proper preparation, your preschooler is sure to have a great year!
If you enjoyed this blog, please take a look at our school’s blog page. There you will find blogs on a wide variety of topics that we believe will be beneficial to you and your family.
Want to learn more about Kids ‘R’ Kids Learning Academy of Mableton located in Mableton, Georgia? Our mission is to provide secure, nurturing, and educational environments for children ages 6 weeks – 12 years. We help children to bloom into responsible, considerate, and contributing members of society. For more information, give us a call or stop by for a tour! We’d love to get to know you and your family.