Valentine’s Day is a day of flowers, candy, and hearts… lots of hearts! When parents spend time with their children, it is a simple way to show them how much they are loved. Find time to do some of these activities this month.
Make a Craft
Shape the end of a cardboard paper towel or toilet paper roll into a heart to create a heart-shaped stamp. Here are 10 ways to use the heart stamp.
Make a Snack
Decorate heart shaped cookies. Use a heart-shaped cookie cutter to cut toast, sandwiches, or other foods into hearts. Strawberries are red and often look heart shaped. Practice fine motor skills by making a strawberry fruit kabob.
Do a Literacy Activity
The Day it Rained Hearts by Felicia Bond is about the day that Cornelia Augusta realizes that hearts are perfect for making valentines. Each heart is special in its own way, and Cornelia knows exactly where to send them. After reading the story, parents and children can practice sight words together.
Materials Needed: 20 paper hearts, a marker, 5 envelopes, tape, and a basket
- Pick 5 sight words that the child needs to practice. On each paper heart, write a sight word. Each word will be used four times. (The child could also help write the words.)
- On the back of each envelope, write one of the same sight words.
- Tape each envelope to a door in the house. (The back side of the envelope with the sight word should face out, so the child can see it.)
- Scatter the hearts on the floor like it has just rained.
- Have the child collect the hearts into a basket and then deliver them to the correct envelope.
Do a Math Activity
Conversation hearts are an easy way to incorporate in a learning activity. They can be counted, sorted, or arranged based on characteristics. They can also be used as a non-standard way to measure items around the house.
Preschool children will have fun spending time with their parents doing any of these Valentine’s Day activities, and they might even learn something new!
If you enjoyed this blog and want to read more, click below for our blog from last month!
Cold Weather Crafts for Preschooler
Want to learn more about Kids ‘R’ Kids Learning Academy of Keller located in Keller, Texas? Our mission is to provide secure, nurturing, and educational environments for children ages 6 weeks – 12 years. We help children to bloom into responsible, considerate, and contributing members of society. For more information, give us a call or stop by for a tour! We’d love to get to know you and your family.