Your preschooler is about to enter a new and exciting phase of life. Entering kindergarten is a big deal! While your child has already learned a lot of important things for kindergarten academic readiness, there are certainly practical ideas to help your preschooler ease into kindergarten, regarding either further academic practice or emotional support.
Here are some ideas to get your creative juices flowing for getting your preschooler ready for K5:
- Check out Gold Stars’ The Summer Before Kindergarten Workbook. Its subtitle is, “Bridging Preschool to Kindergarten” and has a section for parent tips and notes. Though you do not have to go through every activity in the book, if you desire to give your preschooler summer activity practice, this book has a variety of activities for the core subjects.
- Read your child Goodbye Preschool, Hello Kindergarten by Sonica Ellis. This is a sweet children’s story about a young duck who just graduated preschool. The book shows the excitement of kindergarten.
- Make school supply shopping an exciting outing! Try not to make the supply shopping a chore or something that you hope to just quickly cross off your list.
- As best as possible, refrain from using any “scared talk” around your child when making plans to visit the new K5 teacher or taking a tour of the new school, etc. Perhaps you are a bit nervous to meet your child’s new teacher, but make the process sound adventuresome to your child instead!
- Answer any questions that your child may have about the process. It is okay for your child to express fear! See if you can alleviate any fear by answering questions directly or telling your child you will ask the new teacher and answer your child’s question when you are able.
Try to take everything in stride, and do not sweat it if you do not get all of your “summer readiness goals” accomplished! With your emotional support, your child will do well!
If you enjoyed this blog, please take a look at our school’s blog page. There you will find blogs on a wide variety of topics that we believe will be beneficial to you and your family.
Want to learn more about Kids ‘R’ Kids Learning Academy of Northern Greensboro located in Greensboro, North Carolina? Our mission is to provide secure, nurturing, and educational environments for children ages 6 weeks – 12 years. We help children to bloom into responsible, considerate, and contributing members of society. For more information, give us a call or stop by for a tour! We’d love to get to know you and your family.