When Halloween is finished, what do you do with the jack-o-lanterns you made with your preschooler? Whether your pumpkins are carved or whole, check out these ideas for upcycling pumpkins. Do not throw them away!
Make a Pumpkin Bird Feeder
You will need a pumpkin, a knife, some sticks or dowel rods, some rope, a thumb tack, and some bird seed.
- Cut the top off of your pumpkin and discard. You will want to cut about one third to almost one half off the top.
- Scoop out the seeds (if you have not already).
- Insert a few sticks or dowel rods through the sides of the pumpkin to create perches for the birds.
- Cut two pieces of rope the length you will need for hanging.
- Knot the two pieces of rope together in the middle.
- Use a thumb tack to secure the rope knot to the bottom of the pumpkin.
- Turn it over, fill with bird seed, and hang outside.
- Enjoy watching your bird visitors!
Feed Pumpkins to Wildlife
Cut your pumpkin into smaller chunks and leave it for the animals away from your house. Deer, rabbits, mice, squirrels, and chipmunk will all enjoy chomping on your pumpkin. Just remember that only unpainted pumpkins should be left for the animals. Paint can be toxic to animals. If you live in the city or do not want to attract critters close to your home, see if there is a local farmer that might want to use your leftover pumpkins.
Make a Pumpkin Planter
- If your pumpkin is uncut, cut the top off and scoop out the seeds. If your pumpkin is carved, you can just turn it around.
- Add some weed fabric or row cover.
- Fill with potting soil.
- Plant pansies, mums, or whatever fall greenery you would like.
- Watch your flowers grow inside your new pumpkin planter!
The excitement your preschooler had when you were carving that pumpkin in early October can extend well into the fall with these pumpkin upcycling ideas.
If you enjoyed this blog, please take a look at our school’s blog page. There you will find blogs on a wide variety of topics that we believe will be beneficial to you and your family.
Want to learn more about Kids ‘R’ Kids Learning Academy of Johns Creek Parkway located in Johns Creek, Georgia? Our mission is to provide secure, nurturing, and educational environments for children ages 6 weeks – 12 years. We help children to bloom into responsible, considerate, and contributing members of society. For more information, give us a call or stop by for a tour! We’d love to get to know you and your family.