It is a common occurrence to hear the words, “I’m bored” from preschoolers! Even for the more independent preschoolers, boredom is still part of their vocabulary! What is a parent to do?
Some of the following ideas can be done with preschoolers, and some allow them to enjoy activities on their own.
- Create a sensory bin together. In advance, grab any size bin (ideally with a lid) and proceed. Any filler can be used (dried noodles, beans, rice, popcorn kernels, etc.) Then, go around the house finding things to use with the filler (spatulas, measuring cups, paint brushes, anything!).
- Have your preschooler play independently with the sensory bin! Then, you can either grab some coffee or get those dishes washed while your child happily plays nearby.
- You and your preschooler can go to a community thrift store to collect miscellaneous items to save for a rainy day! The store may have a craft section to pick up random items for creating a collage. Maybe you can find old stamps and ink pads or an activity book. Your child will enjoy the adventure!
- Once home, have your child play independently with the newfound items from the thrift store. Perhaps they will need a head start with you, but you can also see where their imagination will take them! Once again, this gives you a breather to throw in that laundry or grab a piece of secret chocolate!
- When your preschooler has an upcoming holiday, and grandma, auntie, or the next-door neighbor asks for gift ideas, you can ask them to buy something that will allow for independent play. Ideas could include reusable sticker scenes, washable paint, things to paint, magnets, playdoh sets, kinetic sand, etc.
Spending time with your child is special and important! On the other hand, though, it is a good life skill for your preschooler to learn to play independently and try to figure out a way to stay happily occupied. Hopefully these activities will help provide a balance.
If you enjoyed this blog, please take a look at our school’s blog page. There you will find blogs on a wide variety of topics that we believe will be beneficial to you and your family.
Want to learn more about Kids ‘R’ Kids Learning Academy of Johns Creek Parkway located in Johns Creek, Georgia? Our mission is to provide secure, nurturing, and educational environments for children ages 6 weeks – 12 years. We help children to bloom into responsible, considerate, and contributing members of society. For more information, give us a call or stop by for a tour! We’d love to get to know you and your family.