Many experts talk about the important health benefits of being out in nature. Author Richard Louv writes in his book, Last Child in the Woods, that we must save our children from “nature-deficit disorder!” This is a very interesting concept, but does it have to be complicated to do nature activities with your preschooler? Thankfully not!
Here are some tips for enjoying nature with your preschooler:
- Proactively look through nature books before going on a nature walk. There should be many options at your local library. These books can also give you ideas for different types of nature walks depending on where you live. You do not have to go to fancy faraway places to have a good nature walk, though. A neighborhood park can work well!
- Bring the right supplies. A simple magnifying glass (or binoculars) and a bucket to hold the exciting treasures from nature will keep your child engaged while out in nature. If your preschooler likes to draw, you can bring a small pad of paper and writing utensils so that your little one can draw something that excites them from the great outdoors.
- Have your preschooler look for items of the same color. These can be put in piles, or you can have your child run from place to place and just point to the items. Better yet, any of the favorite examples can be put into the bucket! Just be sure to follow any rules if at a state park (for example).
- Allow for plenty of opportunities for free-play. You can give your child opportunities to lead and discover items on their own.
- Bring a change of clothes for your preschooler. This may give you a little more peace of mind and allow your child a little more leeway to really get into nature! You can keep the clothes in your vehicle and out of your way.
You do not have to spend hours preparing for a nature walk with your preschooler! Children are natural explorers when given the opportunity!
If you enjoyed this blog, please take a look at our school’s blog page. There you will find blogs on a wide variety of topics that we believe will be beneficial to you and your family.
Want to learn more about Kids ‘R’ Kids Learning Academy of Johns Creek Parkway located in Johns Creek, Georgia? Our mission is to provide secure, nurturing, and educational environments for children ages 6 weeks – 12 years. We help children to bloom into responsible, considerate, and contributing members of society. For more information, give us a call or stop by for a tour! We’d love to get to know you and your family.