- Clean Classrooms: Include a personal place for your child’s belongings, organized learning centers, disinfected toys and play areas, and child-sized sinks for washing hands
- Certified Teachers in: Infant/Child and Adult CPR, and First Aid
- Glass Walls: Unlike typical day care centers or childcare providers, our classrooms feature tempered glass walls for maximum visibility and safety. This promotes an open, bright atmosphere, as well as a clean environment
- Safety Guard on Door Hinges: Our doors are padded at the hinges so that little fingers don’t get pinched when doors are opened and closed between classrooms
- Regular Drills for: Tornado, fire, hurricane and school lock-down
Our Enriched Pre-K Program
Thoughtfully designed to prepare your child for success in Kindergarten and beyond
There are many factors that contribute to making the Pre-K program at the Learning Academy of East Roswell a high quality, in-demand learning experience. Many families enroll their children in our school when they are very young just so they have a spot in our Pre-K program when they are old enough. This program offers a strong academic foundation for children as they transition from preschool into kindergarten and introduces children to many new topics and developmental skills.
What is Enriched Pre-K (EPK)?
Enriched Pre-K (EPK) is our academic four/five-year-old class at East Roswell Preschool that concentrates on early literacy skills that prepare your child for elementary school success. Our program emphasizes balanced literacy, thematic instruction, and STEAM (science, technology, engineering, art, and math) focused learning. Enrichment classes taught by specialized teachers in Fitness, Cooking, Mandarin Chinese, Music, and Tennis that align with developmental standards are part of the program. Parents are encouraged to be part of the literacy focus of this class by documenting reading time with their child and signing up for times to read in the classroom.
What is balanced literacy?
Our curriculum focuses on early literacy by creating a balance of phonological awareness activities, large group/small group/independent guided work with books, and writing experiences. Students practice sight words and put sounds together into word families using predictable readers. Learning critical thinking skills is a key to helping your child prepare for a successful transition to Kindergarten. The teachers create lesson plans that focus on favorite childhood authors and illustrators and their styles such as Jan Brett, Leo Lionni, and Dr. Seuss.
What curriculum is used?
Teachers create original lesson plans based upon school-wide themes, student interests, and individual needs using the Georgia Early Learning Development Standards (GELDS) and Creative Curriculum. Zoophonics and Handwriting Without Tears are incorporated into the instruction.
Will there be assessments?
Assessments take place in various formats throughout the school year using the GELDS, developmental checklists, work samples, and teacher observations. These are used to track the progress for each child and are shared with the parents in fall and spring conferences.
Why choose EPK?
EPK offers a specialized curriculum and exciting enrichment classes. Our program also offers flexible vacation schedules, coordinated after-school activities, and community involvement field trips and projects. The classes make monthly visits to the East Roswell Library for special librarian-led private story times and literacy activities as well as a chance for our students to use their very own library cards to check out books. Other field trips include a performance of the Nutcracker ballet, a visit to a farm, a show at the Center for Puppetry Arts, etc.
At East Roswell Preschool, our goal is to provide an individualized environment aimed at building strong foundations for elementary school success. By choosing to enroll your child in EPK, you are providing the ability to dive deeper into literacy, critical thinking, and STEAM activities as well as the opportunity for your child to be among the best prepared students in the area kindergarten classrooms.
We frequently receive comments and emails from parents of EPK graduates. Most of the commentary relates to their children being far better prepared and more passionate about learning and being at school than their classmates. The common thread in their comments is that having their children reading and excited about books and the library has led to a real advantage in Kindergarten.
At East Roswell Preschool, we consistently go above and beyond what is dictated by Georgia’s state Pre-K requirements. Your child will enter Kindergarten ahead of many classmates due to the wonderful educational experience of participating in our Pre-K Program. A productive Pre-K year is essential to laying a solid groundwork for a child’s future education which is why choosing an elite learning academy like ours is a choice that will set up your child for future success.
Our 3 large classrooms each come equipped with learning stations that encourage children to learn through exploration. These learning centers include Language Arts, Math, Writing, Science, Manipulatives, Reading, Blocks, Dramatic Play, Art, Sensory Table, and more! Items in each center are frequently updated to match the theme and maintain a high level of curiosity and interest within the children. We also provide a spacious outdoor playground that is specifically designed for Pre-K children. The playground includes bicycles, paths, a basketball goal, large climbing/exploring structure, swings, and a free play area covered in astroturf. The children have plenty of space to run, play, and create their own games.
In our early literacy program, parents of Pre-K students commit to reading with their child a certain number of days per week, and students earn recognition for reading logs. Children practice reading using predictable readers based on word families. These go home daily with children in their literacy pouch so that parents can also help their students practice at home. Twice a week, parent volunteers read one-on-one with children at the beginning of the Pre-K day. Children begin putting sounds together to create words, and reading comprehension emerges. Students use emerging writing/spelling skills to write descriptions and captions on their artwork. Classes visit the East Roswell Library monthly for story time and literacy activities with a librarian; they also have the opportunity to check out books at these visits.
- Electronic Security: Coded entry so only authorized visitors may enter the facility
- Hiring Process: All staff undergo extensive state-mandated background checks
- Front Desk: Our front desk is always staffed so that a watchful eye is supervising the facility, ensuring authorized entries only
- Security Cameras: Every classroom in our facility has security cameras that are monitored at the front desk. The owners and staff can easily observe classroom activities throughout each day. Families can login to a secure, password-protected website to check in on their child periodically
- Children eat all meals together using family-style seating
- Teachers monitor all eating times
- Meals are prepared in our commercial-grade kitchen, which is kept separated from the classrooms
- Each day, our in-house chef prepares nutritious meals that exceed USDA guidelines
- All allergies are documented and kept in the front office with administrators
- Our school is a nut-free zone
Each of our Pre-K classrooms come equipped with large interactive whiteboards that are used for group activities as well as to display relevant videos or information that would enhance the curriculum. Our teachers love using these boards as an engaging tool to encourage learning, critical thinking, and the development of basic life skills. These boards are also used in individual and small group activities for word combining, patterning, and math exercises.
Our Pre-K classrooms also come equipped with science materials that allow children to explore the world around them through caring for plants and animals in the classroom. We also incorporate a light table into our science lessons to give children the opportunity to view x-rays of people and animals, slices of rocks and minerals, and explore 3-dimensional building materials with illumination from below. Classes also plant and maintain a garden on the playground so that they can practice charting growth and making scientific observations and predictions as they care for the plants.
Brain & Cognitive Development
At the successful conclusion of our Pre-K Program, your child will:
- Understand and describe relationships using quantity and number; and communicate about distance, weight, and dimensions
- Sort, order, classify and create patterns
- Explore spatial relationships; understand shape concepts; and use mathematical problem solving
- Demonstrate scientific inquiry skills and communicate scientific ideas clearly
- Demonstrate understanding of family, and their own culture and ethnicity, geography, and community economics
- Participate in dance, visual arts, voice and drama while exploring the use of instruments and objects to express creativity
- Demonstrate awareness of cause and effect; use prior knowledge to build new knowledge; demonstrate problem-solving skills
Social & Emotional Development
With the aid of our highly skilled teachers, your child will:
- Develop self-awareness
- Engage in self-expression
- Demonstrate strategies for reasoning and problem-solving
- Increase capacity for self-control
- Develop relationships with adults
- Develop relationships with peers
Through a blend of engaging activities both inside and outside of the classroom, your preschooler will:
- Practice safe, healthy habits
- Participate in activities related to nutrition
- Demonstrate an awareness of the body in space and its relationship to objects in space
- Use senses to explore the environment and process information
- Demonstrate gross motor skills
- Demonstrate fine motor skills
Before moving on to Kindergarten, we’ll ensure that your child:Demonstrates initiative and self-direction
- Demonstrates interest and curiosity
- Sustains attention to a specific activity and demonstrates persistence
- Engages in a progression of individualized and imaginative play
- Demonstrates a cooperative and flexible approach to play
Communication, Language & Literacy
By the successful conclusion of our Pre-K Program, your child will:
- Listen to conversations for a variety of purposes and demonstrate comprehension
- Acquire vocabulary introduced in conversations, activities, stories, and/or books
- Use nonverbal communication for a variety of purposes
- Use increasingly complex spoken language; Demonstrate increasing knowledge of the alphabet
- Acquire meaning from a variety of materials read aloud; Develop early phonological awareness
- Demonstrate awareness of print concepts; Use writing for a variety of purposes
In preparation for elementary school, our pre-kindergarten children work with original themed modules, designed to be appealing and educational. Our standards-driven curriculum has been approved by the state, so transitioning to kindergarten is a breeze. A great percentage of our pre-K graduates test high above their peers within the first year of elementary education.