September 12th recognizes the National Day of encouragement each year. This day is dedicated to taking the action of giving someone support, confidence, or hope. When a person thinks happy thoughts or feels optimistic the brain produces serotonin which leads to enhanced mental functions such as creative thinking, cognitive flexibility, and faster processing. Here are a few simple ways to encourage others around you.
- Leave small notes around with words of gratitude.
- Agree with their feelings. Never minimize or correct.
- Do a task normally done by someone else.
- Be quick to listen and slow to talk. Sometimes people just want to be heard.
- Think of something that is normally not praised, because it is simply expected and thank the person for doing it.
- Encourage even the smallest effort.
- Empower a person to see their abilities.
- Simply love others.