Parents want their preschoolers to be successful as they grow up. They want to raise lifelong learners, and critical thinkers. How can you nurture these things in them though? One way is by raising a child who loves to read. Read on for some tips to help your child love reading.
- Start reading to your child when they are a little baby. If you have not been doing this, now is the time to start. Reading to babies and toddlers helps develop their speech and language skills from the beginning.
- Set aside a special time every day for reading with your preschooler. This is great for bonding and talking about his day, too.
- Read the same books over and over. Repetition helps build connections between words and their meanings and between words and pictures. As you reread, look for something you did not notice before.
- Read various kinds of books together. Children can learn from fiction and non-fiction.
- Visit the library. You do not need to own your own library at home. Have a few of your own books and use the library to supplement.
- Be a role model for your preschooler. Put your electronic devices down and pick up a book of your own to read. Maybe you prefer a newspaper or magazine instead. Whatever you choose, your child will notice your interest in reading and want to imitate it.
- Talk about what you are reading. Ask questions about the story or pictures. Point things out to your toddler. Have him guess what might happen next.
Reading together will give your child a gift they will never forget. Spending time together, learning together, and imagining together will grow your bond and foster a love for reading in your child.
If you enjoyed this blog, please take a look at our school’s blog page. There you will find blogs on a wide variety of topics that we believe will be beneficial to you and your family.
Want to learn more about Kids ‘R’ Kids Learning Academy of Bella Terra located in Richmond, Texas? Our mission is to provide secure, nurturing, and educational environments for children ages 6 weeks – 12 years. We help children to bloom into responsible, considerate, and contributing members of society. For more information, give us a call or stop by for a tour! We’d love to get to know you and your family.