Teething can be a frustrating time for your infant as well as for parents and caregivers. New teeth pushing out of your child’s gums can be sore and sensitive, making your infant fussy and unhappy. Luckily, there are some helpful ways of treating this process.
Teething starts before the first teeth actually emerge, which means that recognizing the teething process might be difficult. Symptoms can include drool, irritability, crying, biting behavior, waking up more at night, and refusing food. These symptoms can also be linked to other conditions, so it is always best to get a professional diagnosis from your pediatrician.
Once you have a diagnosis, there are several treatments you can try, including:
- Allowing your child to chew on a cold, clean, wet washcloth or a cold carrot.
- Sugar-free teething biscuits for infants who have moved onto solid foods.
- Refrigerating your infant’s food may also improve the appetite since the cool temperature is soothing.
- Massaging or rubbing your infant’s gums with a clean finger.
- Pediatricians sometimes recommend teething gels that numb the gums temporarily. These gels should not be used too often or less than 20 minutes before feeds as they can numb the sucking action. Use this treatment only under the advisement of your child’s pediatrician.
It is important that any teething treatment you try is fully supervised to ensure that there is no risk of choking.
If you are looking for a child care facility that will keep your infant happy and learning throughout the teething process, consider Kids ‘R’ Kids Learning Academy of Henderson/Silverado Ranch. Our “hug first, then teach” philosophy helps to comfort and soothe your child, building a bond essential for successful learning. Our innovative infant program will provide your child with healthy, fun distractions that provide essential brain stimulation while keeping your child’s mind off of their uncomfortable new teeth. For more information on our program, staff or state-of-the-art facility, please contact us today.